Spinach Parmesan PestoYum
Ah pesto. Whatever the variety, it’s the perfect addition to a big bowl of pasta, a sandwich, a pizza, or anything really (within reason…).
I’ve been trying to grow basil in the ‘apartment garden’ (basically a balcony) for a while, which in Ireland isn’t easy. So I wanted to create a basil-y pesto without having to fork out for loads of store bought basil. Hello Spinach! This is perfect for adding a healthy twist to pesto, while keeping that lovey basil-y flavour and smell. And the parmesan is necessary because it’s parmesan. And that’s just how it is.
Frozen spinach is perfect here. It’s cheap, it’s easy, and it doesn’t need to be fresh because we’re going to be chucking it into a food processor anyway. Just thaw it, pour off any excess liquid, and you’re good to go!
This is a great easy dinner, as it’s ready in 10 minutes flat. Just chuck everything in a food processor and go! Pesto: Perfect in every way!
- 30g fresh basil (or around 2 large handfuls)
- 125g frozen spinach
- 25g Walnuts
- A good handful Parmesan (Around 30g or a 1/2 cup)
- 2 small/1 large cloves garlic
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- A good squeeze lemon juice
- Add the walnuts to a food processor and process until until quite fine.
- Add the thawed and drained spinach (with excess water squeezed out). Add also the spinach, garlic, lemon juice and parmesan, and process.
- When the mixture starts to look more like pesto, begin drizzling in the olive oil, using as much as is necessary for the mixture to become smooth and combined.
- Move to a jar, and store in the fridge.