Salt and Pepper SquidYum
Salt and Pepper Squid is a personal favourite of mine. Delicious fresh squid, with a salty, spicy and crispy coating; pair it with the sweet, soy dipping and what could be better? But after a number of disappointing take away versions of this dish, we had to just go ahead and try it ourselves.
We headed out to Howth, Co. Dublin one Sunday morning to pick up some lovely, fresh squid from their very popular fish markets. If you’re ever in Ireland, this is a must-do. With its many local fishmongers (where many of Dublin’s top restaurants buy their fish), weekend market, and foodie hot spots, it’s pretty close to heaven on earth! And let’s face it; fresh squid in a light and crispy batter beats anything you’ll get from your local Chinese take away.
Ok, this isn’t the healthiest way to cook squid; but it does cut out the thick, stodgy batter regularly seen in this recipe, and uses fresh, nutritious ingredients. And anyway, what’s wrong with a little indulgence every once in a while? Just don’t eat it every day!
- 2 Cleaned Fresh Squid - Tubes and Tentacles
- 60g Plain Flour
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 2tsp Salt
- 2 tsp White Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- For the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients together well. Set aside until serving.
- Prepare your squid by washing in cold water, drying on some kitchen towel or clean tea towel, and slicing into 2cm strips. Leave tentacles whole.
- In a bowl, mix your flour, corn flour, both peppers, and salt.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a wok or saucepan to 180C. You can check the temperature using an oil thermometer, or by using a piece of bread. Once in the oil, the bread should turn a golden colour after 10 seconds.
- Coat the squid well in the flour mixture.
- Fry the squid in batches for about 2 minutes until golden and cripsy. Do not overfill the saucepan. Add some chilli slices to the fryer once all the squid is cooked (10-20 seconds each) for decoration.
- Serve with the fried chillis, rocket, sliced spring onion and your dipping sauce.