Zingy Lemon Meringue Cupcakes | RecipeYum
Combine cupcakes with lemon curd and meringue, and what do you get? Short answer, something pretty great!
This started as a different recipe. I had planned on making Lemon Curd Cupcakes. Then I realised I had some spare egg whites in the fridge, and a plan began to form in my mind. Lemon Meringue Cupcakes; what could go wrong? As it happened, nothing! I have no idea why I was wasting all that time making plain Lemon Curd Muffins now.
That little bit of meringue transforms these cupcakes in every way. They look elegant, they look fancy, they look delicious. You can dollop the meringue if you like, and just roughly shape it into a peak with a spoon, or you can pipe them like I did here. Although the taste won’t be any different, I prefer the look of them when they’re piped.
Now, you may say what I used to when someone mentioned meringue: I don’t have a blow-torch. Well, I still don’t have a blow-torch. A minute or two under a hot grill, and a very close eye, will suffice here. Just don’t let them burn!
I find these cupcakes quite sweet, so I like to cut through that by adding a tart lemon drizzle sauce to it. Although the bit of lemon curd filling in the cupcake adds some sharpness, you can’t put enough in there to really do the trick. So this sauce is the perfect accompaniment. Just pour a little over the top when serving, and enjoy!
- 200g self raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 150 ml full-fat milk
- 75ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Lemon Curd, for the filling
- 2 egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- A pinch of cream of tartar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon curd
- Preheat your oven to 190C/370F.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine your milk, oil, egg and lemon zest, and whisk until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix until just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Spoon one table spoon into each of the muffin cases.
- Add a half a teaspoon of lemon curd on top of the batter in each case.
- Cover the curd with another tablespoon of batter.
- Bake in the oven for around 12 minutes, until the cupcakes are pale golden and risen.
- While the cupcakes are baking, prepare your meringue.
- Add the egg whites, with the pinch of cream of tartar to a clean, dry bowl.
- Whisk until soft peaks form
- Slowly add the sugar, whisking continuously.
- Continue to whisk until the meringue is thick and glossy, with firm peaks.
- Once the cupcakes are removed from the oven and have cooled, spoon the meringue into a piping bag, and pipe onto the top of each cupcake.
- Grill the cupcakes under a hot grill for 2/3 minutes, until the meringue is turning golden.
- To make the lemon drizzle sauce, spoon the lemon curd and lemon juice into a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, or until the lemon curd is melting. Stir quickly to combine the two.
- Pour the sauce directly onto the cupcake when serving.