Crispy Baked Onion RingsYum
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Deep-frying is a hassle (unless you have one of those automatic deep fryers from unclutterer). Sure, some things require some deep frying, but thankfully, not these onion rings (which is great because if I make them, I’m eating them ALL). Yes, this recipe does say 8 hours of prep time, but that’s leaving these rings in the fridge for a few hours, so I don’t think that’s a huge sacrifice.
Panko breadcrumbs are the ingredient that allows us to get really crispy results, far better than using normal breadcrumbs. Throw a few herbs and spices alongside, and you’ve got the perfect coating for these delicious onion rings.
A big pile of crispy deliciousness!
Now, for the onion. Sure you can use plain, unaltered onion rings for this, but where’s the fun in that? I like to soak my onion rings for a few hours in some buttermilk. This gives them a really soft, creamy flavour, and works well with the delicious spicy breadcrumb coating. While I soak mine overnight, if you throw the rings into some buttermilk before heading to work in the morning, they should be ready to bake for dinner!
Cayenne pepper adds a real kick to this. If spice isn’t so much your thing, use some smoked paprika instead. And beware – these are VERY addictive!
- 2 large white onions, sliced to preferred thickness.
- 500ml buttermilk
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika)
- A good sprinkling sea salt & black pepper
- A pinch of chopped fresh thyme
- Soak the onion rings for 6-8 hours in the buttermilk.
- When you're ready to cook the rings, preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, spices, salt, pepper, and herbs together in a shallow, dry bowl.
- Pour the egg white into a separate bowl.
- Remove the rings one by one from the buttermilk, dip into the egg white, and into the breadcrumb mixture, tossing the rings to coat them in the crumb mixture.
- Place the rings on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, leaving a little space between the rings.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip each ring, and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the rings when they're brown and crisp.
- Enjoy immediately!