Crispy Baked Onion RingsYum
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Deep-frying is a hassle. Sure, some things require some deep frying, but thankfully, not these onion rings (which is great because if I make them, I’m eating them ALL). Yes, this recipe does say 8 hours of prep time, but that’s leaving these rings in the fridge for a few hours, so I don’t think that’s a huge sacrifice.
Panko breadcrumbs are the ingredient that allows us to get really crispy results, far better than using normal breadcrumbs. Throw a few herbs and spices alongside, and you’ve got the perfect coating for these delicious onion rings.
Now, for the onion. Sure you can use plain, unaltered onion rings for this, but where’s the fun in that? I like to soak my onion rings for a few hours in some buttermilk. This gives them a really soft, creamy flavour, and works well with the delicious spicy breadcrumb coating. While I soak mine overnight, if you throw the rings into some buttermilk before heading to work in the morning, they should be ready to bake for dinner!
Cayenne pepper adds a real kick to this. If spice isn’t so much your thing, use some smoked paprika instead. And beware – these are VERY addictive!
- 2 large white onions, sliced to preferred thickness.
- 500ml buttermilk
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (or smoked paprika)
- A good sprinkling sea salt & black pepper
- A pinch of chopped fresh thyme
- Soak the onion rings for 6-8 hours in the buttermilk.
- When you're ready to cook the rings, preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, spices, salt, pepper, and herbs together in a shallow, dry bowl.
- Pour the egg white into a separate bowl.
- Remove the rings one by one from the buttermilk, dip into the egg white, and into the breadcrumb mixture, tossing the rings to coat them in the crumb mixture.
- Place the rings on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, leaving a little space between the rings.
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip each ring, and bake for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the rings when they're brown and crisp.
- Enjoy immediately!