Creamy Mushrooms on Toast | RecipeYum
A few minor upgrades can take a basic dish to the next level. That’s definitely the case for Creamy Mushrooms on Toast!
I love mushrooms. Probably a bit to much. That’s why, when I’m feeling like I can’t be bothered putting something complicated together, Creamy Mushrooms on Toast with tarragon and asparagus is the perfect solution. In under 15 minutes, dinner is on the table.
This dish transports me back to the days of coming in from school to a delicious snack of mushrooms and buttery toast. This dish just have a few little upgrades to make it extra special. You’ve got all the best flavours here. Nutty chestnut mushrooms. tarragon, zesty white wine, and a luscious coating of creamy sauce to make it complete.
Topped with some shaved asparagus? Don’t mind if I do!
I maintain that, for these simple dishes to really sing, you need to be using really wonderful produce.
I picked up this pile of wonderful veg at Sheridan’s Irish Food Festival in Meath, Ireland. It came straight from local producers, bakers, and farmers, as fresh as fresh can get. That’s the difference between a good dish and a great dish!
Nothing gets me quite as excited as really great produce (a sad, but true, fact). So putting this dish together was a real joy. nearly as much of a joy as wolfing it down as soon as I had the pictures I needed! After all, creamy mushrooms on toast were made to be eaten quickly!
This is a kitchen staple recipe for me, a simple joy after a crappy day. If you can’t rely on creamy mushrooms on toast, topped with a little shaved asparagus, then what CAN you rely on?
What are your simple favourites? For many, it’s beans on toast, or eggs on toast, or anything on toast. My SO insists his is a good bowl of Dublin Coddle, while other friends suggested Spaghetti Bolognese, or a Sunday roast! Either way, comfort food is made to be savoured, appreciated, and loved. Isn’t that what it does to us? I like to think so.
- 200g field or chestnut mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon
- A splash of white wine (about 75mls)
- 50mls cream
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 4 thin slices of asparagus
- Heat up a frying pan to a medium heat and a griddle to a medium/high heat.
- Brush each with oil.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic and tarragon to the frying pan with a little olive oil, and fry until the mushrooms are beginning to soften.
- Add the white wine, and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Leave to simmer until the wine has reduced by around 50%.
- While this cooks, brush your bread slices and asparagus lightly with oil and place on the griddle pan. Add a weight on top if possible to press the bread on to the griddle.
- Cook toast on each side until crispy with score marks on each side. The same goes for the asparagus.
- Add the cream to the mushrooms, taste, and season a little more if required. Simmer until the sauce is thick and coats the mushrooms, adding a little more cream if necessary.
- To plate, just spoon the creamy mushrooms over the toast, and top with some shaved asparagus.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!