Zucchini Blinis with Smoked Salmon & Cream Cheese | Christmas RecipesYum
Christmas is all about the fun & festive Christmas recipes – whether it’s nibbles, the main meal, or the sweets! These Zucchini blinis, topped with smoked salmon and cream cheese, are perfect for welcoming guests.
One of my favourite things about Christmas is entertaining. Inviting all your friends around, pouring the glasses of bubbly, and serving up some nibbles. For me, Christmas nibbles (or Hors d’Oeuvres as they’re otherwise known) are tiny works of art that should be fresh, and packed full of flavour. These Zucchini Blinis with Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese are one of my favourite Christmas recipes – plus they’re extremely quick to whip up.
I served these bad boys during my first Christmas evening of 2016, and I must say they went down very well. I served them alongside a Goats Cheese & Tomato Bruschetta and a well stocked cheese board, followed up by a delicious sticky ginger cake, of course accompanied by a few glasses of wine. A perfect evening of Christmas treats to get you into the festive spirit!
Zucchini blinis are a nice twist on the original recipe. They’re moist, full of flavour, and perfect for a huge variety of toppings! They’re elegant, and perfect for serving with drinks at parties, as a pre-dinner snack, or just on a big plate for yourself (how I more commonly serve them). Smoked salmon and cream cheese is a classic combination, and one that I love – but I’d happily indulge in these zucchini blinis with Goats Cheese and Caramelised Onion, or brie and chutney. The options are endless!
However you like to serve your nibbles throughout the festive season, the best Christmas recipes are the ones that are made for sharing. Get those platters out (not a euphemism), get some friends round, and enjoy the party season while it’s here!
- 1 zucchini, grated.
- 1 free-range egg
- 50g plain flour
- 50mls milk
- Black Pepper
- Lemon Juice
- Smoked Salmon
- Cream Cheese
- Lemon Juice
- Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F.
- Add the grated zucchini to a muslin cloth and squeeze any excess water out.
- Add the zucchini to a mixing bowl. Add the egg, milk and flour, and stir until totally combined, with a consistency of pancake batter with zucchini.
- Season the mix with salt, black pepper, and lemon juice.
- Heat a non-stick pan over a medium heat. Spray with some non-stick cooking spray.
- Add small, round dollops of the zucchini batter on to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown on each side.
- Transfer to a baking tray covered with greaseproof paper and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the blinis from the oven and allow to cool slightly before topping.
- Top with a dollop of cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a cucumber ribbon (made by peeling strips off a cucumber with a vegetable peeler).
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the top, along with a light grinding of black pepper.
- Serve alongside glasses of bubbly!
- The zucchini makes this batter quite moist, which is why I give them a few minutes in the oven before serving.