Chewy Breakfast GranolaYum
Ah breakfast, the most important meal of the day. I’m a big believer in starting the day on a good note, and this Chewy Breakfast Granola is the perfect way to do it. Chock-a-block with seeds, nuts and fruit, this granola has everything you need to kick-start your day.
I’ve chucked a few chia and flax seeds in here (in a totally transparent attempt to make up for the sugar), but using good quality fruit and nuts is good enough if you’ve not got these to hand. It’s not an everyday breakfast, as it is a little sweet, but it can make for a great weekend treat. I like to combine it with some Chia Pudding for a healthier option. This means you use less of it, and you combine it with a super healthy breakfast option.
You can eat this as cereal, just with some milk, or combine it with a variety of yoghurts, puddings, or fruits for something different. Remember, you can substitute the honey with some extra golden syrup to make this recipe vegan. This recipe overall is super adaptable. Don’t like walnuts? Don’t worry, just add something else instead. Chocoholic? Go wild! You can mess around with pretty much every aspect of this recipe, though I would recommend keeping the base of rolled oats. But do let your creative side out here, just a little!
- 85g rolled oats
- 30g roughly chopped walnuts
- 30g roughly chopped almonds
- 30g raisins/dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1tbsp chia seeds
- 1tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 2tbsp golden syrup
- 1tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat your oven to 150C/300F.
- Combine your oats, nuts, seeds, berries and flour into a bowl.
- Add your sugar, honey and syrup and mix well to combine.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Pat the mixture roughly into a circular shape.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cool break the mixture into chunks, and store in an airtight container.