Baked Eggs Cheesy Breakfast Cups | RecipeYum
Get breakfast right with baked eggs cups, filled with avocado, spring onion, and creamy mozzarella.
As we’re all well aware by now, breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
Not that ALL meals aren’t important. They are.
A good breakfast sets you up for the rest of the day, though, giving it an edge over lunch and dinner. And, as it’s January, we’re all thinking of ways to help us cut down on sugary snacks and unnecessary eating during the day. There’s so many recipes to choose from though, so what to choose? For a quick and healthy breakfast treat, it’s got to be Baked Eggs Cheesy Breakfast Cups.
Some great things to start off the day are good proteins, healthy fats, and a small portion of whole-wheats. So say hello to the perfect solution!
Baked Eggs Breakfast Cups combine all of these necessary ingredients to start your day the right way. Diced avocado, free-range eggs, wholewheat bread, and smoked salmon. Everything you need to get you going.
And let’s be honest, who wouldn’t jump out of bed knowing that baked eggs were for brekkie? I know I would. Don’t forget to season that egg properly too. Whether it’s just salt and pepper, or a nice sprinkling of smoked paprika, you gotta treat that egg right. As you can see, I love black pepper – but it’s open season for seasoning (get it…? I’m glad I’m not a comedian).
Of course, you can customise your cups to suit yourself. I also like to add some slices of tomato, diced bell peppers, smoked paprika, or sautéed mushrooms alongside my baked eggs – or anything else that takes my fancy at the time.
Leave out the cheese if you’re feeling very healthy, but it really works well here so I recommend that you leave it in. It’s particularly good for keeping the egg together at the top of the cup, rather than letting the whites seep down into the avocado.
But, as with every recipe, experiment a bit, and have fun! Let me know what extras you add to your baked eggs? After all, I’m always delighted for a few recipe ideas!
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 small, diced avocado
- 1 slice low-fat mozzarella cheese (or your preferred cheese - Emmental works well too!)
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Chopped Spring Onion
- 1 slice whole-whead bread (I used a multi-seed whole-wheat bread)
- 1 slice smoked salmon
- Sliced Spring Onion
- Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C/355F.
- Assemble the egg cups.
- Toss the diced avocado in some sea salt, spring onion and black pepper (keep some spring onion set aside for sprinkling on the top).
- Put the avocado in an oven-safe ramekin.
- Top with a slice of the mozzarella, trying to cover the avocado entirely if possible.
- Crack the egg over the mozarella.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, and scatter the remaining spring onion over the top before baking.
- Bake the cups in the preheated oven for approx. 15 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Make sure the whites are cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- While the eggs are baking, assemble your sides. Slice and toast your bread, and top with the smoked salmon.
- Grind some black pepper over the salmon, and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Serve alongside your egg cup, dig in, and enjoy!